Sunday, 5 June 2011

Thinking About Running...and Running Matters

Many people are inspired by others, for whatever their reasons, but this drives them on to do great things of their own choosing. Oscar Pistorius is one of those people who many look upon as a sporting icon. He is, though I see him in a slightly different light knowing a little more about who he is, and of course, from the environment of working with people with limb loss. He absolutely is a legend and a hero to the many children we work with who wear prostheses and have sporting ambitions. And he's such a nice guy, he deserves all the credit he gets...he works for it. And so I was pleased to get an invitation to show a portrait of Oscar at the Norwegian Embassy by an artist who was overwhelmed by him when she saw him on TV once. A wonderful painting.

I once read a statement by a runner who said 'food is just fuel'. I'm not really sure where to start with that one. I LOVE my food and it's so much more than just fuel. Take a look at this 'Ulitimate Burger'. It's making me dribble at the thought. This burger was theatre, an occasion, an event, something to tackle, the anticipation, the touch, the smell and taste just small parts of the whole wonderful burgery episode. And a bit of a run after, to ease the regret...there's little else to beat it.

What do you think of a wedding gift list? I'm not a fan. I understand it's different things to different people, but I like to go 'off-list'. So a couple of my friends are finally getting it together and I was looking for something that symbolises some of what I see in them. Both runners, though with differing drivers, they are a competitive couple, in work and play...and with each other. So with welcome help, the 'work in progress' you see here is to be my gift to them. Steely faced, determined runners...my friends James and Zoe. I started a little painting recently and much of my output has been running centred. I'm not sure why, there are other 'things' I'd like to paint, but this seems to scratch part of an itch I have...and I enjoy it. I'd like to be better, of course!