Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Is That All You've Got?

On the slow walk home from Pilates on Monday, I heard the sound of an eagerly driven car dropping down a gear. Porsche. Looked round and there was a familiar site. Raised a hand to wave, only to hear another gear dropped and the very rewarding howl of the current Mrs Stocks 911 being caned as it went past, driven by Pete, driving like he does in that leany forwards position and a silly grin, the look of a man on a mission! Duly entertained, I text him when I got home..."is that all you've got?"

And so to Scott. Scott throws Javelin. Watch out for him at London Paralympics in 2012. A future world record holder in the making. A day down in Surrey with Scott. This is what we do, make stuff and tinker, or fettle with Prosthetic parts as my good colleagues and myself are demonstrating here. To watch Scott is something of a revelation. He wears a full prosthesis, yet his throwing style is so natural. We are trying to see if we can help him with his equipment so he can focus on his technique. We have until September when this all needs to be sorted out. Ever watched someone throw a Javelin and think you could do that. Yes, me too. We went home with achy shoulders. My throw was rubbish. It went literally just over there...just there. Getting invloved like this makes you appreciate the level of commitment and passion 'real' sporty people have. This is their life. It means everything to them. More than a hobby or something that lets them eat cake. Actually, I don't think he eats cake...can't imagine that!


Thought (hoped) I'd struggle to get a run after a long drive home...until I realised I would, with some degree of regret, make it home in time for run club training. Pete was very keen. I've not been for ages, but I'd spent an interesting morning at the track and was full of inspiration and had a big need to run...and keep my pledge. I didn't want to go, but was a convenient vehicle for some running. And so it was to training I went with a fair amount of nervousness, quite justified as it happens as it was a 3 mile run up and past the Wizard and on to Slade Lane for hill reps. Joy. The groups have all changed since I was there last and I didn't know what group I was meant to be in, even if I'd been put in one. But I soon found a place, if not a purpose and 20 reps of this little hillette kept us all busy for 40 mins until the long(er) run home. Pete performed his signature last rep plunge, as he blasts past everyone leaving us for dust, making some kind of point. I collapse near him, everyone quiet except for the near death panting. "is that all you've got?", he says. Touche.

On the upside, I did find a few new little routes up there and hope to put those to good use very soon. Variety is everything.

A good day of sport and feeling very alive.