Terrified, is what you see here. Man and machine not in perfect harmony. I can't swim, but I can ride a bike. That is until there comes a point when you have to get off the bike because 1. my legs had burnt out and I couldn't make them go round any more, 2. I was in the wrong gear at the bottom of the hill and simply couldn't get going and 3. after an aborted attempt to get back on but with absolutely no momentum to carry me forwards the only option was to get straight off and push. And what I heavy bike I seem to have.
So this was Hell Rider, an 8 hour Duathalon with teams (I say teams, there was once 8 and yet we started with 3, thankfully rounded up to 4 before the day end) who have to compete as many alternate 5k running and 8k cycling laps as you can.
It was a very picturesque setting in the West Wycombe Park, the running and cycle routes made the most of the undulating terrain, with switch backs and hills, mainly up, it seemed and a couple of river crossings thrown in for good measure. I managed 4 runs and 1 cycle. Our team had better cyclists than me, that's for sure. But it was interesting to cycle competitively like this. As a runner I find it easy to modulate my power and speed, conserving my energy and reading the terrain well. But on the bike, I had no idea. The hills just wasted my legs, yet my breathing was fine. Dealing with the gears was tricky and hurtling through the single track was scary...but such great fun. A new experience for sure, but didn't volunteer to to take an extra cycle lap.
On arrival, it was clear that the casual attitude we had taken was a minority emotion compared to those around us. Aside from the impressive machinery, once again there were teams in full 'kit', far too many six-packs on show for my liking, and that was just the girls! Justin who had arrived bike, within moments had produced 3 changes of footwear, toilet roll, a range of energy food and drink all out of his back pack. We with our car stuffed to the gills with what, exactly, had nothing we could offer him.
It was good fun, but boy was it hot. It was that all enveloping heat that consumes you. It was quite hard to drink enough as the change overs were coming around quite quickly, so it was a case of constant sipping...in theory. I think we did really well. Mid table, was our position at the end of the day. It's a shame for those who didn't make it on the day, but I'm sure there'll be something that comes around again. It was a busy day, planing the next person, eating, drinking, clothing, bike maintenance, injuries, lots to keep us occupied.
