Sometimes there needs to be structure to my running. I need a date, or a plan, or a reason. Mostly this is self perpetuating, but on the occasion I have no real reason to run, then Park Run comes to the rescue. Bramhall is the local event, every Saturday at 9.00, a 5k two lap dash around the Park, not a race, but just you and the clock and your own personal goals...and the other 350 people. I like to turn up early, and take a long gentle warm up. The Park is beautiful. I've mentioned it before, but when no one is around, it's idyllic. There is wildlife aplenty, ducks and geese waking to the impending commotion and a lonely heron, trying to go about it's stealthy business. My warm ups are often punctuated with stops for photos. Perhaps not the best pre race strategy, but I like it.
The self fulfilling prophecy that is this sign is something I can't shake out of my head when we pass on the second lap. I just hear myself mutter 'yup' in agreement with the statement. Having just done a 9.40 for the halfway split, you'd think that I'm due to come in somewhere nearer the right end of 19 mins rather than the 20.02 I eventually clock up. My legs were heavy, and perhaps I have to acknowledge that my lack of training is to blame. Any excuse, the post race analysis lasting disproportionately longer than the 20 minutes it took me to do the run. But hey...this is running. The slight upside of this particular Park Run is that I forgot my timing bar code, so my result hasn't actually been registered on my table of stats. A lucky escape? I'm not sure, I really need to get back and nail that sub 20 and make it a regular occurrence.
Part of the post run review, of any organised run really, usually involves looking for photo's of yourself. Odd really, because I know I was there, but it's always curious to see a photo. Photographers are encouraged to post up their photos on the Park Run site, and the only one I could find of myself was this one. No, not her, but behind, picking out the dimps from the bin. Well actually, the bin serves as the highest platform from which to rummage in my bag and get changed...it's a bending down thing...and this is easier. As a man, I only really carry three items, keys, phone wallet. But normally I have four pockets and two hands and this seemingly allows for endless possibilities of loosing stuff I know I put in my pockets only moments ago. A bag is worse. One massive pocket, but can I find my stuff...no, hence the 'let's get it all out of the bag' approach you see here.
And so to breakfast. A short walk up to the Park Cafe and there is nothing quite like the prospect of a toasted teacake and a hot chocolate! Nonetheless, it's a moment to contemplate a job almost well done, and plan for the future.
Put this one down to experience, come back soon and try again.