Well, two days in Sweden and I’ve managed two runs, so I’m pleased with that. Thursday morning had me running along a beautiful route out of town by the river in Uppsala. I say beautiful, the sun was shining, blue skies and all seemed well with the world. But the weather does that, doesn’t it. They say you need to live through the rough winters to truly know if the beauty is real. I believe it is. There were a few other runners out, but mostly down the river track it was cyclists commuting to work.
I found a curious picnic spot/lookout tower that I had to climb and explore, making my run once again more of an expedition, rather than a hard core exercise regime...and all the better for it. Interesting looking birds and flowers also captured my imagination. Everything slightly different. I’m afraid this was a simple out and back run, but nonetheless a good 6 miles and then back to my hotel to try to cool down and start the day with a good breakfast. Hotel breakfasts...I’m not a fan!
Yesterday we moved out to a colleagues summer house just North East of Stockholm. Located on a peninsula over looking some of the smaller islands and right on the Stockholm-Tallin ferry route, it’s a stunning place to lose yourself here. The dwellings are idyllic. Sitting outside as I write this watching the boats go by, listening to the waves lapping on the rocks just below...it couldn't get much better. And this is a work trip.
Last night we ate like Kings and Queens, good mackerel followed by meaty steak and watched a beautiful sunset with a glass of delicious red wine...or two. I’ve been here before and the pattern repeats itself with surprising ease. It makes you wonder if this is just how it is here and if this is something you’d ever tire of. I am tierd, but I could get used to this. Having said that, my colleagues have yet to show their faces, so the peace may be broken soon.
Running in the Wirral tomorrow!