Sunday, 5 June 2011

A Sunny Day

A new morning and the sun was up, full of expectation. Wilmslow Tri, and to appease my inner frustration at my inability to swim and lack of bike ownership, I went around the corner to watch them set up. There was Pete, looking uncharacteristically smiley. It could have been wind, but it did look like a smile to me, though word was he was 'in the zone'. Not the exact words I was quoted, but certainly how it was to be interpreted. Approach with caution!

I should have worn a T shirt saying "I'm not doing the Wilmslow Tri". It's fair enough, I've been enthusiastic in past years, but Chris and I, who was also there to watch just couldn't face it this year. Instead, I continued my journey down to the Carrs on a quick run into the woods. It seems someone else had a similar idea as a car was neatly parked in the hedge just past the more conventional entrance to the the Carrs. Good run, always love it down there...and then back to see what Pete was up to.

This time I did approach with caution. I caught Pete as he was in T2, just out off on the run. He looked good, literally, shiny lyrcra glinting in the morning sun, off he went on a route that took him past his front door twice. I thought it might be good to catch him and get a photo/video. He beat me to it on the first lap, so I just looked a bit wierd stood randomly at the bottom of his road, but as I walked up, the house was all quiet. Thought someone might be out, so I camped outside and waited for his 2nd lap. A bit like a stalker.

He did a good job, and got a good time, a time and effort he was pleased with. And boy, we were all pleased and releaved. And then Jason came in!
I will do the Tri again..and I do have a number of someone to call to help with my swimming. I think for regular people like me, this is an event that is very achievable and such great fun. The sunshine helps...and more of that later, but a  Sprint Tri is probably something that most people can do, yet most think they can't. It's about having a little belief in yourself and a willingness to explore your abilities and get the blood and adrenalin pumping. And then some people just don't get it...and thats fine with me also. I think I'll probably leave it at that!