Sunday, 5 June 2011

Keeping Your Word...a Weekend of Mixed Fortunes

Barcelona, one of my favourite cities in the world. So rich in visual culture and beauty, I love it there and would go at the drop of the hat. And yet I couldn't quite face going there on James staggy after a long time in the planning and a big build up to the event, I pulled out at the last minute. Feeling really bad, I had gone back on my word. Keeping ones word is important, and some have greater values than others. I admire those who can, and so a very early morning run on Saturday had me wondering why some people can keep their word and I can't. It was a good run on a beautiful morning, so early in the Carrs.

I remembered it was the Alderley Edge Carnival this weekend and the village was hosting a 5k race, closing the high street specially for the pararde and run. I decided to run at the last minute and so took a gentle two mile run up to Alderley as my warm up and took my position on the start line. It was a mixed field and as far as I could make out I was going to be quite close to the front. As it turns out, I came 8th overall. Something quite special about running down a closed high street with crowds just clapping for you. At this end of the race, it was quite spread out, so having done one lap and realising that the crowd were still very vocal and supportive, I took my time on the corner just before the top of high street to catch my breath and run past the crowd for the next two laps with enough vim and vigour to warrant such an applause. I could get used to this, I thought, until the crowd was out of sight and my resolve melted. Nonetheless, A tidy 19.34 and I was quite happy...with my run at least.


I was also happy to crawl out of my bed at 5.00am on Sunday morning to go watch Pete on the much anticipated Slateman Triathlon at Llanberris. A great drive on quiet roads into North Wales, the Orme winking at me, glinting in the early morning sun as I passed Llandudno. Blustery, is a way to describe the morning on arrival, and Pete, when I eventually found him, had other words...and quite strong opinions of the valdity of competing on a course with weather like this. "It's f++king suicide" was one of many quotes. And then I didn't see him again. A rough night in the hills had him spooked, and he'd withdrawn from the race. Later and somewhat devastated by his decision of going back on his own word, Pete has beaten the demons out of his head and body and is back on course with his mission. Good work Pete.

A long weekend and my painting is almost done.