Although it started very well, I must be honest, I've had better days. And to cap it all, I think the washer is dead. I've fixed it before, but my conclusion after some significant investigation is that it needs a new motor..and really, I think it's time for a new one. I'm in no doubt that the better man could have fixed this, but alas I can't. So rather than being outside, enjoying the dying moments of daylight doing nothing in particular while everyone else is wrapped up in some football game, I'm browsing for white goods.
I note that tomorrow is the London Marathon. I don't note it as such, I'm fully aware, but today I'm in a reflective mood (I'm Cancerian, so tend to be moody, I'm allowed!). I ran it last year, not for myself...literally...but I took part. I didn't want to do it initially, but it was for good reasons and with good intent. It was an enormous event, and although my time may have been a little unrepresentative of my potential, something I truly don't begrudge, I vowed never again, yet ultimately pleased I had pushed it through. There were many dark times during training where questions were asked, but in the end it was a test. But very enjoyable. Unique. So when the ballot came out for this years LM, I dropped my name in, with a degree of private casual indifference, the rules being that if you have run it before, you can enter the ballot for a place next year. Why not? When I found I hadn't been selected, I was disappointed. Didn't really discuss it with anyone, but considered what my actions would have been had I been awarded a golden ticket. No doubt, I would have taken it. Fate my have later redirected me, but it was a test...and I would have accepted...because that is what we do.
And so are Tony's Training Days...a test. You don't know what's in store for you until the day, but it's a unique day of hard training. We were asked a while ago specifically if us three boys would attend...only 17 places, why say no? Due to a significant change of priorities, I missed the last one. It was a run up Snowdon. A test indeed. Tomorrow, not only the London Marathon, but also the next Tony's Training Day. I realise this has caused disquiet, I don't mean it to, but it's not so much because I want to go, but more because I don't want to turn the opportunity down. Fail the test.
I have had a man cold this week, and of course have discussed it with my man friends. Anyway, due to the good nature of those around me trying to help my recovery while I was bumming around at home, a full disclosure of symptoms at the pharmacy led to a denial of the the Night Nurse I so badly covet, while a helpful call to the Coach by an unamed man-friend resulted in the advice that I should not run...not for the good of my health, but essentially because I would be unwelcome on the bus. I may well not have gone...man cold isn't great, but that is my decision. So there we are. Without me even trying, the event is off for me. Fail.
I will run tomorrow, and I abolutely will not consider it as some kind of 'second best'. It will be my favourite running...running around.
And then to the Laundrette!
