So, I've just finished the mile, and it was a killer. An obvious cliche, but if ever a race was aptly described, then this was it. During the walk back down the hill, I was taken back by the beauty of it all, the cheering crowds, lining the route like a mountain stage of the Tour de France, the local pub heaving with cheery drinkers, kind of cheering, yet also jeering, the piper once again wheezing away, the stunning views out over the Cheshire plain, the 1/4 mile makers - helpful, the photographers - not helpful, the drinks stations, the burger van, the ambulances, the marshalls, the police, the army cadets and local scouts, families waving out of their windows in the houses that lined the route. Yes, quite amazing...amazing as only moments earlier on this very same route, albeit in the other direction, namely up...I witnessed none of this. Only tarmac. This was the killer mile.
Down on the start line before we, the club runners set off, there was news that the under 18's race had just finished in a winning time of 7.20. There were many groans, principally noting that a sub 7.20 on the flat was a challenge, never mind a 25% incline. No matter the gun went and off we went. In a blink it seemed like the 1/4 mile marker came by and i was feeling fine, so pushed a little to pick up my pace, recalling the hard runs up the wizard where I knew I could sustain a higher level of discomfort, knowing it would end soon.
At the about that time, the road became much steeper, so my increased effort coincided with a significant decrease in pace. No matter, everyone else was slowing also. Breathing hard, I decided, as the half mile marker went by, that I could push a bit more. Then I looked up and the road just seemed to curve upwards, my neck straining to see anything resembling the top. And this was the push that broke me. Within a minute I had to walk...what a looser. But I'm sure I was walking faster than I could have run. Finally the road leveled out, there was a sharp bend to the left and WHAT...the finish line and it was flat. I'd lost concentration, lost my resolved, and now had a fright, there was the finish line and I seemed now to have the energy to sprint to the finish where as I should have found that effort before and used it on the hill.
So there we are...the killer mile - done (not quite Gordon Ramsey style!). An unusual yet interesting experience. I've certainly never done anything like it before, as I sit here and write this from the relative comfort of my bed...I think I'd do it again. Although I hardly broke a sweat, even during my long but gentle warm up, my legs, lungs and heart were screaming by the top. I can't say I finished in any great position. There was a look that many had been there a while when I got to the top. The results will tell the story when they're out. But although I'm not satisfied with my time or effort commitment, I'm glad I came. In my remit for fresh running experiences this year, this one ticks the box...almost.