Friday, 15 April 2011

Mermaid

There's only really a few people I know who 'suffer' (this isn't really the correct word) from the phenomena 'runners high'. But when all is well and a good run has been completed, I've rarely seen anyone so happy. I really like that. And I guess therefore, that when you can't get your running fix or there is a prospect of solo running, then the ensuing 'low' is difficult to manage. I don't like that and it troubles me deeply when I can't fix it.

My much hyped morning run in Copenhagen was a slight anti-climax, but at least I did get out. The hotel had a number of what they called 'Jogging Routes', the longest of which was 5.5k. Hardly worth getting out of bed for. And that seemed to be the philosophy of many of those from the previous evening who would absolutely be joining me. One guy did, which was fine, and we ran. Raining. It seemed we were back in a thrice, barely got warm and back in my hotel room having an early morning chat with a friend. I nearly always take my running shoes away with me on trips. And I've have to be honest and say that only about on 50% of those occasions do they actually come out. But today they did and I'm pleased to report that my calf is fine.

Dinner the previous evening was meaty, not quite the best steak I've ever had, but certainly up there. I felt rather guilty enjoying my gormet dining, when those back home were enjoying slighty less extravagant fare. Still, it's difficult to go wrong with humus! I certainly didn't need any breakfast, though I was missing an morning coffee. In the end, it seems I missed much more, like my meeting...but that's another story. ....