Monday, 25 April 2011

Hanging On

A difficult day had me back at the Stocks taking comfort in things cakey. Like yesterday there was a danger of the day ending with a degree of regret and over eating, so there was loose talk of a run. A reluctant plan was loosely made to meet later for a run out to the Edge. I'd navigate! It seems also James was looking for something gentle to shake his legs down after a tasty 31 mins for the Runcorn 'Run the Bridge' 5 yesterday. Pete, still feeling invincible after his self declared weekend of manly joy was looking to round it off in style, and I was just looking to hang on. So a nice route the other way up the Bollin, past Mottram Hall, up on the Edge and over the top. And then I went wrong and ended up at the Tomato Farm. I didn't know it was a Tomato Farm, but from the smell in the air, it kind of made sense, and it also explains the random people walking down the lanes coming into the back end of Alderely Edge, should you have been there. . Tomato Farm workers!


It was also a good run for animal spotting. Today we occasioned many Horses and Ponies all of whom took a great interest in us, but not enough to settle for photo's, so more weird iPhone almost focused pics, which I kind of like. The Ponies here ran circles by us, rounding us up like true Ranch Hands, while we calmly tried to run away. I'm not sure of the term for baby big horses, but by the Tomato Farm, there was a proper massive horse running with it's baby, legs all wobbly like Bambi. I think we spooked them, so we tip toed past. And there were lambs and more cows, cows and their calves, reluctant to move from the warm corner of the field...where the stile was!

Not a lot of time to take in the views, due to the gentlemanly pace of the run, but I did look up to catch site of one of my favourite viewpoints. From up there, an awkward little climb up a bank to grasp a fence while stretching a calf or two, the view out from under the canopy of trees is very mesmerising and calming.

The remainder of the run seemed sprightly, none of us speaking, a nice tight formation of three, certainly putting in some significant effort, yet also on a metronomic cruise. Finally, I seem to have laid my cold to rest, though it took me about 5 miles to truly warm up, James with far too much energy considering his efforts yesterday and Pete...still on his mission :-) 

I hung on, just.

NTS...call Wayne tomorrow!