Talking about cows, as I was earlier today...I came across a few recently. They seemed to be heading me off, running first one way, then coming back and potentially blocking off the intended exit. We've met before, once on a dark, wet and wild windy night, the kind of wind that reminds you of crashing waves on a rugged coastline, but punctuated with bellowing moo's. Dramatic. I have to be honest, a stroppy cow frightens me. Obviously I try to hide my concern in their company, but it's sensed...and mocked! But you do hear of incidents of people enjoying the fresh air and their lives coming to a grisly end due to some cow disrespect. I'm not alone in fearing death by cow. Yet despite the concerns, passing by on this occasion is a relatively harmless affair and without incident...except my dented pride. In fact, a welcome punctuation to my run. This isn't racing, this is 'running around'. This is what I enjoy. A couple of weekends ago, there were comments about delays, waiting in turn at the stiles in
a race, watching your competitors getting away, but here a stile is a welcome break, a chance to catch your breath, to stand tall and take in the view whether that be in front of your nose or across the horizon. Cows, sheep, geese, herons, horses, frogs, rocky outcrops, crumbly logs, tea vans, the ground, the sky and everything in between...many welcome distractions that make a run, fun.
Nonetheless, the cows seemed, well, distracted, tired even. In the next field, possibly the answer...and the next obstacle. Time to run.