Wednesday, 10 August 2011

Too Dry, Too Wet

Sitting in bed hearing a load of sirens outside. Wouldn't give it another thought ordinarily, but seriously...what is going on with peoples morals out there.  Running. I did a 'runner' today. Left my local coffee shop without paying. Not intentionally, obviously. It was maybe 10 minutes or so after leaving that I suddenly realised that no one had paid, that dreadful feeling of guilt and wrong doing washed over me, and I literally ran back to confess. I apologised profusely while they stood there and ridiculed me, bringing my misdemeanor to the attention of other diners. I was overwhelmed with the need to resolve my error. How do other people think theft is ok? "It's ok, they can afford it". WTF! Theft...a despicable crime...at any level, against The Man, or just the Little Man. Anyway, the sirens have stopped now. Perhaps it was just a local legitimate crime, a genuine theft, honourable disorder!

I went to an interesting lecture last night. A pleasant girl called Emma from Lucazade Sport Science Team was discussing pre, during and post 'running' fueling. My very brief summary of this would state simply 'eat food'. I was starving and all I could see was images of yummy fruit and occasional cakes being flashed up. It was also interesting to learn that about 40% of us will start exercise already dehydrated. Bummer. Giveaway of the week...a pee colour chart. Yup, dehydrated. I'm too dry. Eat well and drink plenty. Brilliant. Of course, it was a very detailed and informative presentation, explaining the importance of good diet, fuel and hydration and how if some of these issues are overlooked, then performance can suffer also. It's kind of obvious stuff, yet I sat there listening intently wondering where that vital bit of information is missing in my life...and hence the solution to that elusive miracle performance gain. Cake.

I was looking forward to a run tomorrow morning, but now I'm not sure. Rain is alleged to stop play. Too wet! But I like to run in the rain. It can be invigorating. Still all quiet outside. But now it's raining. I can hear it... calling.