Sunday, 28 August 2011

A Fine Day of TV Sport

I'm not the parsimonious type, despite having substantial Yorkshire roots. I try to be kind and generous. There is joy in giving, something I think I got from my Mum. Giving is pleasing. I try to be good at it, but sometimes I think I'm rubbish and selfish. On the subject of things non thrifty, check out my brace of battenburg cakes. I'm not a baker, so not going to go on about the turmoil these house brick substitutes caused me, but suffice to say, they are as mightily generous in their size as they are sturdy in their construction.

Whoa
Early to bed last night I went, heavy with cake. So it was with no problem at all I awoke to begin this fine day of sport at 3.15am to watch Oscar Pistorius make history. The tension was huge, running in the 5th and final heat, the false start, all the media attention and then he seemed to cruise to a credible 3rd place for the heat to earn himself a place in the 400m semi tomorrow. It's a good job I was paying attention as this morning I had to go on Sky News Sunrise to discuss the use of his so called 'blades' and this eternal debate about whether or not they give him an unfair advantage.


Ha, well, I don't know many amputees who state there is much advantage in life having no legs, and what sport is truly fair, so no, I don't think so and gave robust defense to some ridiculous counter arguments. People, do your research. I didn't get to see the piece. I don't have Sky at home...one thing, along with stuff like a PlayStation I know I probably secretly want, but would never admit to or have in the house because I'd rather not fritter my life away in front of a faceless screen. That's a bit opinionated, I know...but I know it would happen. I watch too much TV as it is, but only the good stuff, obviously...ha ha.

Mo
And then came Mo Farah and Usain Bolt (ha, yes I watched TV for most of the day, hypocrite or what) Mo Farah's 10k was just some of the most stunning racing I've ever witnessed. And the drama of the last 500m was heartbreaking. But have you ever seen the look of pure 100% commitment mixed with despair in your life before? Whereas Usain Bolt showed no commitment, only disrespect and then 100% despair. TV gold. I don't blame him or judge him. Who am I, but three of the most memorable TV sporting moments in one day. It was captivating, engaging, unmissable TV Sport. Brilliant.

Doh
Then I went for a run...just to put my athletic efforts into some kind of perspective! I did the airport perimeter. Busy down there with people walking around all leisurely, getting in the way of some serious running. Sound/noise of the day goes to the airport LandRover cruising around making heads turn to 'what the hell is that', a familiar phrase, but it was playing some squawking bird sounds to frighten them off. Certainly got my attention. A good run, the feeling of sun on your back, and back home just in time before the rain came, with a marvellous cakey post run feed. Mmmm :-) I'm not sure if running and then eating cake is cause or effect. Neither am I sure what the coming week has for me in running around terms. I just need to get some miles in. I might try a run with Glen Campbell. Did I just say that?!