Wednesday, 17 August 2011

Double Run Wednesday

I love morning runs. But just when you think it's going to be nice and quite, you discover there's loads of other people around 'in my space'. In some small way, it makes me wish for the dark really early mornings when everyone is still in bed. But then I'd miss the wonderful colours down in the woods. It's only green and brown, but there's something unique down there about how the colours fiz, and I love it. I know I'm struggling with my fitness lately. It's really dropped off, and for me that means 'extras'. So spent a fair part of the day toying with the idea of evening multiple Wizards, despite my morning outing to the Mill in the welcoming sunshine.



I've not done this in an age, but a sunny evening and a desire to leave work in a timely manner, had me jogging out to Alderley and to the foot of the hill, staring a mile up the windy road to the speed limit sign. This run is neither scenic or fun, but there's something about it I kind of like. It's hard for sure, but there's a community on this hill. Pedestrians don't get it, and neither do divers. But it's the cyclists and of course other runners, if you see them, but there were none tonight. The cyclists always give you a nod as you are going up and they are coming down. They know. And as I come down and they are going up, they look over, and I nod. I know. It's a kind of 'hill respect'.


This evening there was a cyclist guy who was on repeat laps, up to the Wizard and down Artist Lane, and back. He did four of those to my three up and  downs. We exchanged words, sometimes a nod, or just a look, depending on the 'special place' we were at. We knew. My splits for the hill were 6.35, 6.45 (photo stop) and 6.35. I can't remember if they are any good, I was trying to take it easy, just need to get some mileage in. Over the crest of the hill, the speed limit sign is a beacon of hope. I remember in the winter months how it was so dark up there that the head torch would catch the luminous sign as soon as you crested the hill and it would draw you in. Once there, you almost fall to your knees, exhausted.

The jog down takes longer than you might think, almost too long, which is odd, but very jarring on knees and my back. I was pleased I managed three repeats, but wasn't sure I'd left enough in the tank to make a reasonable attempt at the run home. But recovery was swift. Then I met Christine in Alderely Village. I found her cussing by the roadside, having just missed a bus and the train for her circuits class in Wilmslow. We ran back together. A good warm up for her! All the way we discussed cake...and its role in her dietary downfall. I was unsympathetic, but although she too loves a cake, Christine regards them as the enemy within and won't let them in her house...unless her daughter brings one home. I am now out of cake. A very unsatisfactory state of affairs.