I didn't do that much over the weekend, but circumstances led to much overeating and therefore the inevitable eaters regret. Though on balance, there really was only a couple of occasions where I fully regretted the eating, the others represent a more complex emotional battle. Cake. There was a little running around, for which I was grateful and enjoyed and also some cycling. The cogs are literally turning in my cycling based thoughts, but that's another matter. But either way, there wasn't enough activity to offset my cakey indulgences. I had some rainbow cake which was a both a visual and gustatory delight. I like food to enjoy and consider, not just to eat. Thus charged with things cakey in my mind, my terminal undoing was deciding on a Sunday project that should involve some home baking of my own. Mistake.
A simple Lemon Drizzle Cake. On the hunt for the elusive Mimosa Balls (I still don't know what they are, despite asking around) the current Mrs Stock got wind of my project and the resulting text simply read 'Bake Off'. A time and venue arranged, I had two hours to perform. Until the very moment there was a knock on the door, I was confident and very pleased with my efforts. I doubled all lemony content and in the absence of Mimosa Balls, I added popping candy for extra tingle. And then I opened the door. Game over in an instance. A crushing defeat. There was never really any competition. I don't know what I was thinking. And to add insult to injury, the comment that sticks in my mind was Pete's reference to the popping candy and lemony zing (I'd like to think more of a zap, than a zing, why zing when you can zap). 'It's very disconcerting'. Brilliant.
I now need a really good run, or something, to absolve myself of this confectionery overdose, but I can't move. Cake...mmmmm. I'm not sure of the concept of a bake off. But what I like is the notion that when some people think they can do something because it looks easy and have their own little battles, along comes someone and shows them how it's really done. No fuss, no drama...just a simple dignified demonstration of who's boss :-)