Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Low Fat Sport

Is the notion of a 'low fat' cake the same as 'having your cake and eating it'? I'm not sure, but once again cakes are at the forefront of my thoughts. Is it possible for low fat cake to be a viable alternative, different, a unique identity in it's own right? But we know it's not. An impostor, a mere shadow, an eco-cake, cake-lite, vegetarian, value-cake, like a cake, but not a cake, but a baked item. Cakes. Cake. Such a great word. I adore cakes. I worship Thee, most gracious Cake, And all Thy ways adore; And every day I live, To love Thee more and more. Hmmm.



Sat on the train right now on my way to Lee Valley Athletics Stadium for a meeting with UK Sport to review the paralympic supported athletes we're working with. Forecast for 30C today in London and I felt it was time to give my Reykjavik Marathon T shirt an airing. To be honest, it has migrated it's way to the top of what was a big pile of T's, so was kind of next out, but it brings back wonderful memories of a trip where we took a number of disabled athletes and those who provide prosthetic services for them to run either 10k, half or the full marathon. The motto of the trip was 'if you come, you run'. Everyone came back with a story, bruised, battered, elated. It remains without doubt the highlight of my career in many ways. And it is from this that my enthusiasm for what we are doing today is unyielding. I really am very lucky to be involved.

To shun a low-fat cake  may seem a little trite. But for some, it may be an only choice, and entry-level option, unable to take the full fat definitive article. And these people must be catered for, but it's a shame we pre-judge products like this and those who choose them. Some peoples attitude towards disabled sport is similar. It's like sport, but not the real thing. Low fat sport. Try telling that to those athletes I'll be seeing today. But these people are testing our perceptions, challenging the rules, challenging sport. Sport is sport. Cake is cake. They maybe at opposite ends of life's scales, but they should be pure.


But really, what is a cake? A cake is a delight, a treat, an indulgence, a promoter of well-being. Cake is Heaven.