Sunday, 21 August 2011

Fast Mill

I like washing cars. It's a good project. I'll be frank, I do a good job. It's not that I like them clean, I like to clean them. It's the process, not just the outcome. And frankly I'd rather be outside doing anything than inside doing nothing. After a heavy night as guest  of the current Mrs Stock, I awoke this morning lethargic and full. I made a cheesecake yesterday. Lemony! Almost managed to polish it off, but it defeated us. After a solo breakfast in the village this morning, watching the world wake up, I decided to get active.

So spent the entire day, it seems, washing cars. Many cars. Tough work. And the sun was shining and I was happy...ish. I did no exercise yesterday, and an unsatisfactory run on Friday, so I vowed to go for a long slow run today. I like it when a plan comes together. But they rarely do, so I met Pete who decided a short sharp blat to the Mill and back would be the order of the late afternoon. The flies and other airborne bugs were out in force and I was glad of my sunnies. I've taken to wearing these a lot recently and I really do think they help protect my eyes (obviously) not just from the sun, but general debris that usually finds it way directly into the corners, to remain lodged there for ever!


Pete seemed unimpressed with my need to stop and take photo's. He didn't say it, I could feel it in his silence. I didn't actually stop, just stumbled and stuttered as I tried to retrieve my phone from the depths of my shorts and hold a steady arm, only to look up and see him waiting, looking at me questionably.The Mill was closed. A few workers were going home and one or two hardcore visitors still out having picnics in the car park. It was a very humid day, so lovely and sweaty. We managed the run it in a time 1 minute slower than he'd done the previous day on the back of a 20k cycle ride.



He tried to not to look unimpressed. He didn't need to say anything more. He just presented me with the bare facts and they spoke for themselves. He is flying at the moment, and it has to be said somewhat inspirational. I was ok with the pace, but didn't have much left in me come the sprint to his front door. My reward was a tasty homemade cookie and a chance to play ball with Georgie. Happy with that. Georgie is one smart dog. She's so funny, but so intelligent.