I could have settled for Battersea Park, or Clapham Common, Wimbledon Common or Puney Heath, but I needed to make it to Richmond Park. Of course once there, I really wanted to get into the park and take a run. It was all a challenge, as I had to be back and ready. Another early start, aided in fact by an almost total absence of any sleep...night terrors. I made it to the Park, and found peace, memories...coffee. A tick on some conceptual to do list I have in my head. It's largely irrational. I don't care.
Well, obviously I do! Otherwise I'd just lie in bed every morning. There something that gets me out and when I start to dwell on what that could be, it really makes no sense. I'm not meeting anyone or running with anybody...it's just me, aching, tired, grumpy...and off I go. I'd say it takes me a good 2-3 miles before I properly get going. It's not ideal, because during that time, I'm ready to turn back. But then I discover I'm just running...not thinking, no longer grumpy, but warm, head up, seeing the day, breathing deeply....alive.
Something will always make me stop. Though my aim was for the tranquility of the park today, it was urban running at its ugliest, London. But then I see an object of pure beauty. An early 70's Citroen DS 23 Pallas. The technology is one thing, but what I revel in is the fact the someone penned this, showed it to a few people and collectively they said 'yes, we can do this'. Outrageously wonderful. You see this philosophy in other ways. It's why not, never a why. I love that attitude. Why would I not get out of bed and go for a run, returning to somewhere as special as the Park?


