Saturday, 20 August 2016

A Tail Tale

I'm on some tablets...for my head. I don't know if it's the actual tablets or simply the enormous worry about if it's the tablets, but either way, I'm washed out and feel as if I'm almost in the room, but not quite. And Pete wiped me out on a great bike ride in the week. The correct term may be 'bonked', but fucked is how it felt. I bailed at a cafe one hill from home and inhaled much needed banana milkshake and apple tart. The short ride back from there was a joy.

Narrow hedge lined country lanes, blues skies, mountains in the distance...I felt dead, but alive. Since then, however, I've been unable to move. It's not tired, but more disconnected. No parkrun for me this morning as hoped, instead I marshaled again, feeling a bit sorry for myself. Despite shedding a tear almost every time I switch on to watch the Olympics in what has been an amazing fortnight for GB, this morning I saw the performance of a lifetime.
As I waited for the 4th time for the tail runner to pass with the last parkrunner just ahead, the penultimate runner had passed a good 10 minutes since. And then in the distance, here she came. A lady, not a natural runner, determination in her eyes, running...just, making a difference and doing something very special. Made my day. As indeed did clapping and cheering every runner that went by. Be a marshal...just once. Inspire and be inspired. Give back!