Monday, 1 August 2016

Better Out than In

So we are using less plastic shopping bags...such a mundane yet welcome waking news headline. If there is nothing better report than this, then life is good. And there is perhaps no more virtuous way to start a day than having done mile reps down at the club track before most people are even awake. And the sky was blue, the sun shinning, and Pete and I are putting in an effort. It's not even 6.30am yet. Jeremy Clarkson, love him or loathe him, described one of the many joys of getting older and not being able to sleep.

It was having the ability to get out of your bed and enjoy the glory that is a fresh summers morning when the day is undoubtedly at its best before anyone else is there to spoil it. So, Pete and I were running round in circles and ended up chatting about Sir Roger Bannister's documentary the other day and of course his 4 minute mile. The best we were able to do was 6.30 repeats. After 5, I was done. Pete went for a 6th. I opted for a tactical warm down as my legs were yelling at me. It was my hardest post-heel injury session.

We'd worked out that Rog would have finished his mile by the time we'd started the final lap of our curiously lumpy and oddly shaped 655m track. So to simulate the differential between Bannister's 4 min mile and Pete's 6.30, we scaled it down. Pete set of at his pace to do the 2 3/4 lap mile and I jogged the slowest jog I could for 2 laps, but even walking I still beat Pete by a big margin. You can't imagine what a 4 min mile pace must be like. I didn't run again over the weekend. No real reason that I can put my finger on, but that's twice in a row now.

I did a ride, of sorts, bike hill reps...that's a new one! I'd decided I didn't really have anywhere to go, but felt a need to be outside, so had a bash at Swiss Hill a few times, before looking for flatter ground and coffee. Did a big ride in the week in North Wales and a brilliant run early one morning, finding an old unpronounceable castle atop of Llangollen. It was an 'off-site' work trip and I spent most of the nights listening to my colleagues snoring. It's a long time since I've shared a bunk bed...and a long time until I hope I will again.

Early up and out was the answer. I'm aching today. I have a skip outside my house and the goal seems to be to get it filled before my neighbours do. Why do people do that, really! I've also spent a fair amount of time in my loft. It's like a furnace up there, and itchy as hell. But it reminded me of my old Pilate's course. Trying not to put a foot through the the ceiling involved some serious core strength. If only I had it. A Sunday pub lunch was relaxing and very welcome. There are some great colours out. I love being outdoors.