Tuesday, 4 August 2015

It's an Age Thing

I was down in The Carrs with Joe on Sunday. They've started Junior parkrun and this was the first event. Over 70 4-14 yr olds and a 2k course. It was the funniest thing. Parents, really! A fine line between shouting encouragement and just shouting. It was quite a sight to see them tanking off, then the reddest cheeks you've ever seen coming back. However, Joe wasn't happy! And apparently, I volunteered for marshalling next weekend. There's been other running in the week. Steve has hair. I know, it's an odd thing to say, or even notice.

But I've not seen him in a couple of weeks, so tonights easy Monday run was a bit of a surprise. It's not an issue in any way, simply something I couldn't take my eyes off. He normally shaves his head, but today it must have had a good 10mm all over...and he looked like a different man. Younger, I thought. I didn't tell him, of course. We don't speak of age...he too is at 'that' milestone. He was describing his new shifts at the airport, no longer doing 12 hour rota's. Better. Steve was happy. "Not getting any fucking younger, Rich". Well...