Saturday, 22 August 2015

Rob Beere Valve Guides

I often wonder what my Dad would make of it all. He had a MK IV Cortina. I'm looking at one, remembering how it took us France, those bloody wheels I had to get clean and his pride in ownership. I wonder if he'd be able to forgive me and understand why I have a German car, or if cars today are something to covet such as those of the 70''s and 80's. I love a classic car show, and the best of British is on display at Tatton today. "Look Dad, a MK1 Granada". I'm concerned a child knows what a MK1 Granada is. I blame his dad.

 

This kid was pulling his arm to take a look. Enthusiasts. Such people belong to clubs. The 'Cheshire Capri Club' or the 'Manchester Morris Minors'. They are all here, and the overheard conversations are rife with passion. I'm reminded of that time I came here with Pete, and a guy got chatting to him. After some significant time, Pete gave me a desperate look in the eye...the helpless look of a man slowly suffocating in the inescapable quicksand of another mans hobby. "We're leaving" he said the moment he broke away.

 

And today I was snapped out of my trance when stooped over the open bonnet of an XJ Coupe, the owner was explaining to a slightly overly interested onlooker "yes, I've just fitted new Rob Beere Valve Guides". They both nodded, smiled and agreed that only an idiot wouldn't have done this. I left, happy for knowing that they knew what they were talking about, but happier that I didn't. I can be a little bit nerdy. Check the Speedster wheel option with side exit exhausts on the Plus 8, the R8 Gordini in French Racing Blue...or a MK1 mini window latch.

 

If you've ever felt the tactile surface of that serrated button in the pursuit of minimising claustrophobia...you'll understand the wry smile. But like an unwelcome fart in a lift, I try to keep the nerdiness in. I love my running. But I don't talk about it with the same passion as these guys today. I bang on about stuff here...but not the reports or the pretend product reviews...just what it's like to be out. For example, I've finally just bought some new trail shoes, stopping at Tony's on the way back.

 

I've been back an hour and I genuinely can't tell you what make/brand they are, or any of the other 4 pairs I tried out while I was there. But they are comfy. I think I'm lucky that the people I occasionally run with are like minded. They don't care either, unlike if I were cycling and you get judged on the colour of your socks or which way round you wear your helmet...one of those is a joke, the other is deadly serious! It's good to share your passion, but knowing your audience is key. I was a parkrun marshal today. Barcode scanning. No time for chatter.