I didn't report on my experience as a Marshal at last weeks Junior parkrun, essentially because there wasn't a Junior parkrun last week. My once good friend James-the-bastard had volunteered me to marshal, you may recall, while he was, and indeed still is, on holiday. I'd planned my Sunday morning run to end with just enough time to grab a coffee and head down to The Carrs in time to get one of the plumb jobs. But when I arrived, it seemed at first I was the early bird, as no one else was there.
I know Trev can be a bit casual, but with 5 mins to go, I was starting to feel a little like the child-catcher as I tried to recruit unattached children in the park. It seems James was a little premature in his recruitment, as in fact Junior parkrun formally started today. And so last night I went to bed once again with a rough plan, timing being essential to arrive early and be deployed as Trev saw fit...and hopefully with a good coffee in my hand. Except I was awoken within moments of going to sleep, unsure if I was dreaming or on the set of Ripper Street.
A piercing steam whistle and the unmistakable sound of a locomotive huffing and puffing its way out of Wilmslow station. I watched at the window, and could only see intermittent gobs of steam and white smoke being projected into the air contrasting against the dark night sky. But it was the sound, bouncing of the trees and neighbouring houses...a metronomic beat gently increasing in frequency but with such power and force shattering the piece of the evening. A truly evocative audible experience.
And then, unquestioning...I went back to bed. Anyway, the point is, I was a bit groggy this morning. But boy, what a morning. Not really in a mood to run, but if ever a morning can lift your spirits, then this one did. It was just blue, big bright blue and luminous lush green everywhere. And sheep! I guess I'm sensitive to it because I know we are over the summer hump and I'm of a mind to savour moments like these. I made it back in time for coffee, or rather I made it in time for parkrun with my coffee.
The coffee was never in doubt and was duly allocated my position at the turnaround point. Armed with 5 cones and my vizzie, off I set...to 'the last tree on the left'...Trev gave me a look and added 'ish'. My angst at finding the right tree, and then understanding the sentiment of Trevs closing comment was soon realised when they all came bounding towards me...and then turned, not exactly at where I was stood, by the turnaround cone, arms waving and shouting 'keep left/turn round me'.
As each kid giggled and turned increasing early, I was soon up by the 3rd but last tree on the left, also giggling. Next time, I may opt for more cones, or a flag, or charm, or something! There was other running in the week, though I'll be honest and admit I don't remember much of it. One thing that is becoming a precursor to each run I make, is the need for shoes. I am still literally falling out of my trail shoes. It's fair to say, they no longer owe me anything, but I owe it to my feet to get a new pair...soon.





