Sunday, 23 August 2015

Cones Revisited

I opted for a more robust and obvious cone arrangement for the kids today. The 2k junior parkrun here is an out-and-back, so I'm at the furthest point, there in good time to fashion my coneage and then it seems, field questions from passers by. Had they been near the start, it would be obvious, but down here it begs enquiry. Most people's reaction is positive, as is my presentation of the common good. Then this lady comes by with her small dog, walking somewhat slower than her already slow pace.

 

"What this for?" she asks, gesturing at my cones, but without stopping. I explain, adding a cheery "it's great, isn't it". Then she almost stops, almost looks at me and is clearly considering what I've just said. "Well, I guess the children are ok, but it's the adults I don't like...they're not good for the walkers". She had passed me by now, her back firmly pointing in my direction. I'm now irritated. "But isn't it great that other people can get to enjoy the park?" I offer, starting to raise my voice slightly, my smile slipping a little. "Not really" she replies.

 

"It's only an hour, then everyone's gone", I bark. Then she's gone, and I'm left there alone feeling slightly like a social menace. Anyway, my cones are looking great, and I glance my watch thinking that the kids must be about to appear any moment. Excitement and anticipation soon turns to angst as there's still no sign of anyone. This then turns to a feeling of foolishness as I conclude that either it's a seriously late start, or they turned way before even making it down to the end. But then they come...and the high 5-ing begins.

 

The kids pass in three distinct groups. The first ones have genuine ability and are running with purpose, cheeks red and breathing deep. They have that look, acknowledging your cheer with the faintest of nods, but no words. The middle group are the gigglers. They're having a laugh, stop to ask questions and exchange cheek. Then the final group is where the drama is. Kids with parents shouting encouragement, the kids inconsolable, tears in their eyes hating every moment. My 'half way, brilliant' doesn't help.

 

And when the last one has passed and the tail runner (walker) has turned, I pack up and chuckle all the way back to the start. But my morning began very early before any of this. The massive storms and rains of the night mixed with the heat of the morning was quite stunning. There was an actual warm breeze and it was one of those rare occasions where every part of your body was dripping with sweat. I gave my new shoes an airing, unsure of how far to go in case of blisters, but in fact I had one of my longest runs for a while.

 

It was such an amazing morning and heat like never before, it ended up as a bit of a Forrest Gump run. But I did find myself locked in the Hare Hill Estate, despite entering via an open gate, I had to climb a few fences and walls to get out. All part of the adventure, such as it was. I had intended to go home and shower before going to junior parkrun, but in the end only just had time to grab a coffee and head straight down there. And my shoes...never gave them a second thought. Saucony, by the way. Blue.