Not an overly motivated weekend, to be fair. No actual running around, much of the talk and energy has been surrounding Jon and his fall at Goyt Valley. Went to see him yesterday, an impressive 30cm opening along his thigh where they inserted a plate. No weight bearing for 6 weeks, he's been told, so references to running of any description risked becoming a little trite in his company. Nonetheless, it's something he enjoys, and although still very concerned why his leg gave way like that, keeping motivated during an injury like this is something that will need to be addressed. He's already talking of marshaling, timekeeping and so on, and I think that's good. I still feel a huge burden of responsibility, if only because I was there at the time, but I'm more than aware of what it is he loves so much that is now lost...for now. It gets better from here.
The sun is out this morning, after yesterdays gloom. There was a hint of such late afternoon as the sky offered every shade of grey and a healthy and increasing slug of blue. Of other running matters, our friend Sharon finally nailed a sub 4 hour marathon. Never mind the 'mild' weather in Manchester yesterday, she smashed her old pb of 4.11 with a 3.47. She's delighted, and we are all relieved. Sharon is one of those who rarely has a good thing to say about running around, yet has talent and ability that is recognised by everyone, except herself. I spent the day at Lougborough on a course helping amputees to run for the first time, but again distracted by the drills of pole vaulters in the back ground...it's quite captivating. It was a good session, with the help of one of the GB coaching staff to run the day. Motivated now. Tonight, I run. Bluebell Trail next weekend.
