Thursday, 3 May 2012

Too Many Nuts?

I've just eaten a full pack of pistachio nuts. I'm looking at the debris trying to decide whether or not the bilious feeling I have is related to the nutty stash, or just representative of the disproportionate ratio of effort to reward with things that need shelling before eating. Consequently, I'm deciding whether or not to risk doing a club run tonight. I did training on Tuesday and some self administered extras and a routine run to the Mill last night. 

I say routine, the sense of lethargy and tardiness was overwhelming, so consoled myself with a chippy tea round at James's. Still, it's the first time I'd seen the bluebells this year down in the woods, a subtle reminder of the legendary Trooper Lane awaiting us all on the Bluebell Trail on Sunday. More on that to come, no doubt. 

A visit to Jon today, proudly showing me this X-ray. His accident was a week ago, and he's certainly on the mend, mobile now, on his crutches. There's been much talk at the club of the relative risks and health & safety of running events. How seriously do we really take FRA regulations and the like? 

Is full body cover extra weight, or a life saver? And did you know 1 in 60,000 runners are likely to have a heart attack in events lasting 3 hours or more. But with risk, there's reward. I guess as runners we all talk about the reward and the cost and sacrifice we make to get it, but not often about the risk. Perhaps because we assume there is none. I think Jon was exceptionally unlucky and an unusual set of circumstances combined to make this happen. I think I have eaten too many nuts...perhaps I'll just take it steady tonight!