Thursday, 19 April 2012

'GBR Stock' revealed...almost

When I run, there is clarity. I often compose thoughts for my blog among other things, and have made some life defining decisions while out on the trail/road/track. There are other times I spend alone, like sitting in the car where that state of conscious decisiveness fails to materialise. Like now, sitting by the pool, my mind is all over the place. There is much to distract me. Breakfast is done. The alarm went at 5.30 this morning, and like yesterday, there was already action aplenty, but more so. ETU European Championships 2012 is go. I found a quiet place down on the beach, but just behind me was some feverish activity, more competitors arriving and exploring the course and transition areas. National teams riding out together, the Elites getting police escorts on their route recce, runners with that distinctive elbows high, paddling wrists and upright stance they have. The locals must wonder what's hit them.

And then there is Team Pete. After some literal pacing up and down in the room this morning, that's 2 paces to the door, 2 back to the window, it's decided some non specific bike action was on the agenda. Without announcement or ceremony, it was also the first revealing of the official GBR tri suit, worn casually, yet fashionably under a cardigan! We met up later, after Pete had clashed with the local authorities, and ended up doing some bike to run transition practice where Pete wanted feedback and opinion. I tried hard not to do my Harry Enfield 'you don't wanna do it like that' routine. As a runner you know how it is. You see the results list and that 5 seconds between you and the guy in front. Only 5 seconds...but it seemed like he was a country mile down the road and you'd never have caught him. Every second counts. All the the risky strategy cards are being played here. Rehearsal and detail is important.