Friday, 27 April 2012

Goyt Valley 10k - DNF

Unlucky Alf, a favourite Fast Show character, and a name that is used at home for a variety of reasons. Sometimes you can't help but wonder why everything you touch seems to break. Goyt Valley 10k is a local Wilmslow Running Club race, starting and finishing from Errwood Reservoir. As we climbed above the grey clouds, into thick mist and rain, we we're thankful there was no wind, some suggesting conditions almost ideal. Though not a million miles from the truth, under other circumstances, you'd have to say the going was rough. A mixed terrain course, and as it's name suggests, it's a down and up. Pretty soon, it's obvious that this is a wet race underfoot. I don't mind wet feet, but there were huge puddles and you never know what you're stepping into, so there was a degree of caution, if not absolute mincing.

Kind of running my own race, I looked behind and saw Jon the Vet, as he's affectionately described in my phone, so I hung back a little and joined him for the remainder of the race. He'd implied as such before we started. Only 140 runners and few Wilmslow vests, so there wasn't much competition, but the course was a battle in it's own right. Jon started to make a few mumbles about his knee, not sure if it'd run off or if we'd have to pull up. More puddles to skip across, I hear him shriek, look round and then see him fall, then the scream.

There was also a noise like a cross between and pop and a snap. He was in serious serious pain. Dr Kate stopped as did lots of other club runners, some of whom ran back to notify the marshals who were actually Buxton Mountain Rescue, the proceeds of the race going to them. There was no moving him, lying on the wet trail, rain pouring down as we're there in our shorts and vests. Agony. Eventually a shelter was erected, like that screen they put up at the Grand National, I thought.

The ambulance came and we made it off the course Jon sucking on the Entonox, and back to the road. A long evening and a longer recovery ahead for Jon, a nasty fractured femur, requiring immediate surgery. That sound sickens me, every time I recall it. Today, a curious debate started about whether we, Kate and I, should be awarded points for stopping to assist a 'man down'. A debate I had no real interest in joining while Jon was in A&E. Goyt Valley 10K - DNF.

Get well soon, Jon.