Monday, 2 April 2012

Highs and Lows of a Sunny Week

I wanted to run all the way...and almost did, but for the testing inclines and literal climbs to get to the top of Shuttlingsloe. That and my questionable fitness. However, the real reason I wanted this was to test my ankle, this being the place that killed it on Christmas Eve. Yesterday I was the victor. In fact it was a double result. James brought tea money and funded a HHC and a proper wedge of cake. A fine reward. I'd chosen wisely, after a fine week, it was evident that Sunday morning was to be the better day of the two over the weekend, and so it proved. A beautiful still and fresh morning with blue skies. A slug up around the Forest Five route then up to Shutts, there was no wind, just the sound of breathing and the birds on the top. And James' curry!

I do love this route. It's only about a 20 minute drive, depending on who drives and in what (Pete holds the record), so not exactly a doorstep run, but it's close and accessible enough to regard it as being no trouble to get here. You know how it can be for some runs, sometimes the slightest obstacle and it's plan B which features the teapot and TV remote. This though, totally worth the modest effort. I was a happy man, and grateful to James for moderating his pace to accommodate mine. 'Smile', I said, at the top! 

But I was absolutely shafted, and that's been the theme for the week. It's like I've had no energy for things I've been able to do before. A relaxing few days in Wales, running in the hills up to and around Corlan Fraith above Aberdovey left me completely spent. You know that moment when you can't help but conclude 'you're done', well this happened to me last week. A third of the way into a 13 miler, I was convinced I wasn't going to make it home ever and had a touch of the panics. This photo says it all. Finished. 2800 feet of climb, though!

I've got a few races lined up and I need to decide what to do. Not a fan of a race, but I need these as an incentive to get back in shape, but not sure if I can endure the ignominy and humiliation of the results illustrating I'm not as good as I used to be. Yet after the few runs I've been doing this past week, running brings so much personal enjoyment and rewards that are beyond stats, times and placings. I almost don't care about how good or indifferent I am, so long as I can just get out there. 

That's the important thing...to enjoy my running around. But even as I type that out, I know I'm not being totally honest with myself. I both need and want to be fitter, so I can get out more, further afield, take on new adventures and get my cake life balance back on track. The good weather has certainly helped. Raining now, and about to go out with Chris for a quick 4 miler as a warm up for our circuits class. Then on Wednesday, it's the Chester Spring 5. I'll let you know.