I have developed a curious walk. In fact, at the moment I have a number of walking styles, all of which are giving my back some grief. For actual walking, I'm using the 'boot'. It's not called a boot, it's a 'walker', but no one knows what that means. It works best with one of my trainers...and a single crutch. It's the easiest way for me to get around. Everyone complains they can't keep up with me. Hmmm. Without the boot, which is a bit of a no no, it's either shoes and two crutches, or when at home, no shoes and no crutch...free style.
The latter involves a dodgy looking asymmetric hip wiggle, or so it feels, which means I can make two complete steps, stepping through, rather than stepping to. I have a routine. One crutch and boot each by the front door, the other in the car. No excuses. Whatever the combination, it's limiting, constraining and massively frustrating. Oh wait...then there's my bikes. I was told I could 'spin'. So I have. Outside. A lot. Last weekend 150 miles or so. I can't begin to express the sense of liberation.
Simply letting my eyes focus on something beyond my book or the TV. I've been taking it easy on the bike, or more specifically with my foot. But it feels normal...until I stop and get off and have to walk for whatever reason. I've been using my bikes more than I ever have, swapping footpaths for bridleways, making new routes as I go along. But I'm missing the intensity of,excercise that my running would bring. Burning legs and rasping lungs. It's different. For now, I'm ok with that. I'm making progress. It's a long road, but at least I'm on it.


