Saturday, 26 March 2016

It'll be Good for Me

There's a lot of tea going on next to my kettle. Proper tea, meaning 'Yorkshire' obvs...and a whole selection of those Twinning...err...flavoured teas. I use the term 'flavoured' loosely, though really I think it's the word 'tea' that's misleading. They smell good, these teas, quite definitely a stronger smell than any taste. As a refreshing beverage, these curiously scented, lightly flavoured warming drinks tick my box from time to time. And then there's the description. Ever supped a cuppa thinking it was tea when in fact it was coffee?

 

They're a bit like that. You read 'refreshing ginger and lime', smell something that almost makes your eyes water...and tastes of earth. They all taste of earth...earthy, brown earth. Except the liquorice one. I love liquorice and have tasted great liquorice tea before. But this pack got off to a bad start. I made a cuppa one night. It was dark and I thought it was blackberries...and as such it tasted proper off. Next morning, I realised my mistake and tried again. Nope...I don't like it. I'm drinking a cup of it now, and in fact wondering why.

 

It's because I'm a bit of a knob, and rather than just chucking them out and drinking the ones I like, I think it will do me good if I push it through, work through them all systematically so one day I don't run out of my favourites and am just left with these. It'll make me a better person, I'm sure. And that's how a lot of stuff is going just now. I'm doing a lot of things I don't want to, possibly don't need to, but I am, because it's good for me...I think. Lady Luck isn't shining on me just now. In fact, the Dark Prince of Bad Luck and Woe has been an unwelcome friend.

 

On the running front...there's been none for 3 weeks now. At the hospital this week it was confirmed that I have a stress fracture on my heel. In isolation, I'm sort of OK with it, but it's compounding everything. I have to stay in my walker for another 4 weeks and have investigations as to why it's happened...again. Non running observers are quick to conclude it's because of my age and because I run. It's hard to remain in good humour. The Doc says it'll heal and will be fine. But for now, there is no running and it's doing my head in.

 

So instead I go to the gym every morning. I hate the gym, but I think it may be good for me. I've signed up to be a parkrun Director at Wilmslow. I didn't want to, but I think it may be good for me. At the weekends I've been getting up at 5.30 and taking solo bike rides. I'd rather have company, or be in bed...or both, but I'm out and riding instead...because I think it might be good for me. And I'm still nursing this cup of rank tea. I don't like it, but it means I have one of my good ones left...and that surely will be good for me. And a Caramel Tunnock.