My good friend Joe, aged 6yrs 1month, had a good morning of sport today. Skiing lessons first thing at Chill Factor-e while James and I drank coffee and pondered on the future, followed by going to watch the club Christmas Handicap race back at the Rugby Club. I guess spectating sport isn't really sport, but puddle splashing is! I got a bit of stick within moments of arriving at the Club, greeted with a reception that ranged from "awe Rich, we've really missed you", to "where the fuck have you been?"
I've not been for a while, and it's clearly been noted. Dealing with the follow-up interrogation was more engaging, and difficult to satisfy. The other question of the morning regarding the 'handicap' was 'are you/why aren't you running?, the former being directed to those who wear sporting apparel socially, the latter to those who wear normal clothes. My favourite response I heard was 'because I don't want to get a lung infection'. That kind of killed any further questioning outwardly, though it raised quite a few new ones in my mind.
My actual response of 'because I didn't fancy it' seemed to draw further questions for which I had no answers. Joe too was asking questions, about how the handicap worked, or more precisely when was the 'race' about to start. We'd invested and committed heavily to supporting the runners along the route walking a good 60, maybe 65m down the course as the steady trickle of the least fast runners set off. By the time the last man was due out, and hence the fastest runner, Joe was just about up to speed with the concept.
Until this point, our cheering and clapping had been reasonably conventional, encouragement, words of merit and general admiration for the effort. Armed with new information as Rob set off and ran by, Joe, now somewhat confused, delivered his interpretation of an appropriate shout out for the clubs faster runner and the one hotly tipped to win. "You're not winning" he bellowed. "Thanks", Rob grunted. Joe looked bemused as we laughed. Bought myself some new off road shoes today to cheer me up. Orange!



