I think I'm quite a calm person. Philosophical, almost. Relaxed verging on being permanently horizontal, I was once told. I don't really mind who I am, I'm not selling anything here. It's just at times, things tip me over an edge. Red mist, possibly. It could be an ugly trait, except obviously I think I'm right and whatever that particular tipping point was, it was perfectly just. It worries me sometimes! I had two altercations with motorists today, and on both occasions I felt somewhat chastised.
I know my Highway Code, and it know its value and worth when the driver who's pulling out of a junction to turn left as I'm already crossing the road, his eyes looking only right as he doesn't even stop and just pulls out, only to stop and look when I thump the bonnet. The Highway Code at that point has no value...except to allow me to vent, fuelled by life threatening adrenalin. Retrospectively, there were options. I could have stepped in to the traffic. Or jumped across his bonnet. He wasn't there when I started crossing.
He wasn't happy, my fault apparently, a barrage of excuses and blame! I caught up with him at the traffic lights. He had less to say...to my face. Being right doesn't really help...if I'm in hospital. I should just stick to the trails. My next episode involved The Law. I applaud their anti-drink driving campaigns and this morning as many other mornings round here, there have been road blocks catching those still pissed up from the night before...you know, the sort who 'think' they're okay to drive...the dangerous ones!
They had signs and cones out, and pulled you into a narrow lay-by where there was a waiting van and two patrol cars. Good, I thought, still pumped up. Justice. It was busy. A line of cars with nervous drivers waiting to be breathalysed, ordinary looking people. And me...a pedestrian. The Police van, occupied the entire width of the lay-by, and backed up across pavement. No way past. So again, I have to stop. I can't get by on the inside, so have to wait until the road is clear so I can step out. I felt it needed mentioning. I was right, but got shouted down.
Again my only conclusion is that I should have been somewhere else and avoided it all. I've got an attitude, apparently. All of this is slightly interconnected. Right and wrong, just and unjust and the Police promoting road safety. You can't argue with a car, or the actual Law. But neither it seems, can you reason with an ignorant driver or a thoughtless copper. Other people's shit and excuses for their own wrong doing. Anyway, it was another beautiful cold and frosty sunny morning. Can't argue with that. At all.




