One of the things about RunClub training is that after one of the Tuesday speed sessions, you do finish up thinking 'jeez, I wouldn't have done that if I were on my own'. There's that combination of a structured and organised session coupled with a bit of peer pressure. Whatever is laid down, somehow, you complete it. But never without an escalating and crumbling thought of 'I can't do this, I'm done'. Except you're not done. You dig deep, find something in you that even you didn't know you had. It's that 'something' that gives you self belief.
You know what?...I can do this, followed by that unrivalled of feelings and emotions...'Yes, I did that'. And here's the thing. I'm dodging RunClub for some reason. I think I may have lost a bit of form and can't bear the humiliation of getting a drubbing. I'm scared 'I can't do this'! So to prepare for my return, I'm trying to keep on it. Last night I picked a selection of Alderley Edges best back streets for an engaging little hill rep session. It was tough. I thought. I suspect, however, I could have done more. I know I should have done more!

