Saturday, 13 December 2014

A Frosty Morning

I remember a race a few years back around Christmas, mixed terrain and icy to the point of it almost being cancelled. It wasn't, and I did alright, picking off many runners higher up the order. It was challenging underfoot, for sure. At the end of the race, many were recalling stories of taking it steady, thinking they may fall. I thought I may not, so nailed it. It just seemed a matter of fairly reasonable odds...and a bit stupid! "What if you fell?", I was asked. What if I didn't, I would reply. Anyway, I didn't...which was lucky, I think.

This morning I heard the 6.12 to Euston trundle past. Nothing unusual in that, other than it actually was 6.12, but on this occasion the room lit up with bright flashing lights. A quick look and you could see the pantograph making a flaming blue and white light due to frost on the overhead cables. Apparently the current arcs across the gap made by the frost on the cable and the conductor. I googled it! Anyway, it also reminded me a great frosty morning on a drive up to Glasgow a few weeks ago. Again, the train giving this amazing light show.

What I'm getting round to saying is that is was a frosty morning. In fact, more icy, that actual frost. It was bloody slippy. But my issue wasn't so much in staying upright, but more about traction. And the frustration wasn't about imminent danger of falling, but only the absolute frustration of wasted energy. Until, that was, I started walking. We'll discuss why I was walking on my run on another occasion. But when walking, it was as much as I could do to stay on both feet, yet when running this was never an issue.

It just got me wondering if there's any bio-mechanical answer somewhere as to why this is. It's probably something I should know about. When taking my coffee this morning, a guy said to me 'they must be really grippy shoes for you to be able to run this morning'. Well, no. Not when I was walking. In the village I saw 2 car ambulances attending fallen pedestrians. And I could have been one of them. But the running...somehow different. I got up to The Edge in one piece. It was another great sunrise. Frosty mornings, hazards and rewards.