There's a 'natural order' at run club which reflects ability and results. This is best illustrated in the form of training groups of which we have 6. The big boys, group 1 are our elite, the counters. Group 6, the least fast, is the largest. There was once a time when promotion was done purely on the nod from coach Tony. We perform for him, hoping to catch his eye. There was a time when James was promoted ahead of Pete and I. We stood there, after he got the tap on shoulder, and watched him desert us, strolling towards his new friends.
More determined than ever, I remember the night when Pete and I also got the nod. Straight faced, we looked at each acknowledging the significance of what had just happened. Once the session was over and we were out of earshot, we both yelled 'YES' and giggled all the way home, yet knowing this was as good as it got as next week we had to perform. And those first weeks in the new group were tough. Hanging on the back, trying your hardest not to disgrace yourself or catch Tonys eye and suffer the threat of a drop.
What we were exhibiting was respect for the system and engaging with a work ethic that made you fight for your place. We followed the discipline of maintaining the rep recoveries, with the clock starting when the first man is in. If you failed, you dropped out. Group 2 is where I reside now. On a good night, meaning when a full compliment turn up to training, I'm certainly mid order. But Tony seems to have relaxed this somewhat and there appears to be free cross border traffic within the groups.
And I seem to be bitter about it, because I remember how hard we had to work to get here and the time served in the lower groups, building a foundation that would hold you in good stead for the day you moved up. Now, some fancy their chances in other groups and a bit of self promotion. But there's still the issue of converting training performance in to race results. And for once, I seem to be coming good. Warrington 10k and a new PB and the full group 2 60 points win. Satisfying.



