Tuesday, 3 June 2014

On Days Like These

The biking didn't go well. It's neither a long nor interesting story, and I've probably already said more than is representative of just how successful or indeed unsuccessful the entire episode was. Still, I'm over it now! A good run though. A beautiful morning. Luckily there were run routes that cross the single track and bridle ways, all following a roughly similar direction and terrain. The advantage of being deep in a cyclescape was almost complete ownerships of the run paths. A sense of isolation was there, but only just.

Occasionally a giggle and rustle of the bushes behind you, the tops of a lone helmet here and the rattle of a chain bouncing of the stays there as our paths almost, but invisibly crossed. It was weird. But good. A wonderful sunny Sunday morning, who wouldn't be out on a bike, or have planned to come to a place like this? Still, lucky I had my running shoes really. I had them, because I stood on the door step deciding I couldn't drive in my bike shoes, so just popped a pair of trail shoes on for the journey. A glorious morning.

I was there nice and early too. Time to take in the atmosphere as the real cyclists came in their weekend vans, opening their back doors to reveal some real shiny metal. The sun beating down, I was excited. Been a while since I've ridden off road, it was going to be great. Then more vans, and cars, people unloading, clearly engaged in a routine that's well practised...on a sunny Sunday morning. Have I mentioned that? It's just that's what the guy in hire centre kept referring to like I was an idiot for not realising. No bikes for hire today. All booked out on days like these.