One of the best things about your sport, not so much the post finish line rush of endorphins, though frankly I can't say I've really experienced that, is a damn good hot shower. There's such a shower at home. An over specified combi boiler with a mighty pump fit for a house 3 times it's size, it's super hot and leaves a tingle on the skin with its mighty force. As such, I have become a shower snob. You can't beat that feeling of leaning against the shower wall as piping hot shards of water pummel your back.
It sooths your aching body and prolongs the stasis of your battle scarred mind. And now it's broken. Intermittent bursts of almost tepid water amid a torrent of cold. That's what happens after you diligently get your boiler serviced for fear of breaching some kind of clause in the service contract small print. It was fine...until he came! It wasn't broken...now it needs fixing! Though appointed for a fix, it's becoming a conscious thought during my running.
What to look forward to...or indeed not! A good coffee or damn fine cup of tea, not a shit one, or a hot hot chocolate, not luke warm. I'm no double-hard bastard, but neither am I soft, or afraid of getting wet or cold. But that's on the basis that once home, you'll get warm and dry. That's the deal, isn't it? I'm trying for it not to become an issue, or becoming one of those people who moan about the bleedin' obvious. So all I have to say on the matter is that, at best, a cold shower is a bit of a disappointment!
Other news, yesterday I finally managed to crack sub 20min for the Burnage parkrun course. 19.38, actually. Tuesdays training sessions are paying off. Steve, who was absent, though clearly stalking the results website, text me to explain conditions must have been favourable, acknowledging my feat. A compliment, almost. I'd like to think it was a little more due to hard work and effort, along with a focused state of mind and some bloody determination. That or the fact I was not only chasing, but being chased and chased hard.
The sun was out, and some proper sweating once more. I've been chasing this for some time, promising myself not to whore around with other parkruns until I've run a sub 20 here. In theory, I'm an 18.30 flat road 5k'er, but have persevered with this tough course at the expense of setting down a marker this season for an all time PB challenge. I do think you need some of your cards to land face up on the startline of a 5k, but also a fair degree of mental strength and belief. I set off fast, and hung on, remembering the pain of previous efforts and that soon it would end.
Focussing on the heels of the guy in front, judging the breathing from behind, when to break and pass in a hope to make it stick. Parkrun, not a race, but a timed run. Right! I only looked at my watch once...at the end. Many have less than favourable opinions about parkrun. As voluntary projects go, it's unbeatable. The rest is up to you. A good effort and a certain degree of self satisfaction, getting home covered in baked-on sweat, dead flies, and an inner smile...ready for my shower!



