See this ad? This is Jody. I made his prosthesis. It's quite special, light, massively stiff and optimised for aerodynamics. We worked with British Cycling to get it like this. You've heard the chatter already. The same people who have the really round wheels. Marginal gains...that's what it's all about. It's very refreshing working with people in that kind of environment. Details, passion, focus, goals...we can all learn something from this.
We just got it painted for him. Nice. Matching GB team colours. We lost sleep trying to get it right. Paint almost dry come launch day, a clandestine exchange of goods on a dual carriageway lay-by to make sure we made the deadline. All worth it, I think. It's a tool for him, but also a thing of beauty, I think. He wears it with pride, another component that makes him feel part of a team, a team who will deliver when it counts. A winning team.
He got names added of all those who've helped him. There I am, just above Chris Boardman. The Chris Boardman! It's a little surreal to see that, but it's a nice touch. You hear sportsmen and women often acknowledging the team behind them. My name on this leg...there's a team of many behind my name, supporting what we do, making it possible, ensuring in some small way that our athletes are best prepared so we can all enjoy and be entertained by what they do.
If it's not Jody, then it'll be Jonnie, Stef, Rich, Scott or Sophie, some of the amputee athletes we support. There are many more. Their back stories are captivating. And I don't mean about their disabilities...I mean about their athletic ability. These people are athletes, professional athletes...who also wear a prosthesis. If you're going to judge them, then judge them as athletes, judge them on their performance. This is sport.
I'm off to London tomorrow. I'll be there for the duration of the Games. My running motivation is back. A good couple of outings over the weekend, a competitive Park Run and a pacy run up to the Edge. My shoes are packed and a few run routes mapped out around the Olympic Park. Ive got a busy schedule, worky stuff, technical stuff...even a few C4 appearances. But my runs are planned. In all respects, I can't wait. It's almost time.
If it's not Jody, then it'll be Jonnie, Stef, Rich, Scott or Sophie, some of the amputee athletes we support. There are many more. Their back stories are captivating. And I don't mean about their disabilities...I mean about their athletic ability. These people are athletes, professional athletes...who also wear a prosthesis. If you're going to judge them, then judge them as athletes, judge them on their performance. This is sport.
I'm off to London tomorrow. I'll be there for the duration of the Games. My running motivation is back. A good couple of outings over the weekend, a competitive Park Run and a pacy run up to the Edge. My shoes are packed and a few run routes mapped out around the Olympic Park. Ive got a busy schedule, worky stuff, technical stuff...even a few C4 appearances. But my runs are planned. In all respects, I can't wait. It's almost time.
