Thursday, 30 August 2012

Greenway. In Search of Peace


It was hard to sleep last night. Clearly something was happening outside. Cheering, music and fireworks. It seemed close, yet far away. Almost there, but not quite. Three of us, and one ticket. I bowed out, as did another. Our generosity didn't yield much thanks or any experience retrospectively shared. Instead, we stood on the street, cameras pointing hopelessly over the rooftops. The light and noise were there, yet it was strangely distant, remote, almost peaceful.
 
My second morning down in London and my second run. Up by the Olympic Park, all the interesting (meaning quiet) canal tow paths are closed, so it means looking for local parks or the road. But there is one route called the Greenway. It's not so green, really, just less grey, but off road at least. This morning I went East. I ended up at the Thames, then headed back North. Roads closed, Olympic lanes, check points, people, so many people...Chaos.