Had a very short run yesterday morning before work, just down to the Mill and back. Not one of my best, it seemed my lungs were full of fluff or something, like every breath was being drawn through a wet sponge. I put it down to the usual August muggy air that seems to affect me. However, it seems to be September today, the official first day of Autumn. How did that happen? And what a promising start. Wonderful crisp blue skies and long dark sharp shadows on the ground. No complaints at all and hopefully it'll stay like this for a while. On seeing the sunshine, I thought an early run out would be a great start to the day.
Down into the Carrs, all the dog walkers were there, can't blame them really, but again was wishing I was perhaps a little earlier so I could enjoy the solitude of the moment. So antisocial! The Carrs to me has always been that bit before you get to the fun part of the run, Styal Woods. But Wilmslow is lucky to have a park such as this. The Carrs, (Kjarrs, from the Norse meaning Meadow recovered from Bog) has it's formal history as Wilmslow community parkland from 1925.
Boring bit - Henry Boddington, of brewing fame, donated the pasture land surrounding the Bollin Valley of the estate at his Pownall Hall home. In 1930 the official handover was finally completed and marked with the erection of the the Boddington Arch with it's inscription 'Given by Henry Boddington JP of Pownall Hall for the recreation health and pleasure of Wilmslow and her children for ever 1925'. The extension of the Carrs behind Twinnies Bridge, given by Ernest Greg, (Greg family Mill owners at Quarry Bank Mill in Styal) was completed in 1935 and celebrated as part of the Silver Jubilee celebrations of King George V and Queen Mary and formally adopted by the Wilmslow Urban District Council.
This is now what we know as The Carrs today. Managed by Macc Borough Council, a local group called 'Friends of The Carrs, of which James is a member (good for the CV), work tirelessly as a liaison between the residents of Wilmslow and the council to ensure The Carrs remain the healthy lungs of Wilmslow. It's a shame then, that as I enjoy this wonderful morning and fill my own lungs to embrace the moment, that the predominant smell as I run through the bottom car park is that of dog shit!
I continue my run, left at the stile, down by the Bollin to the Mill, and up to the Farm. All quiet up there this morning, except for the fact my phone rang. A little distracting. There was a lone calve, seemingly escaped from under the electric fence, but not quite brave enough to make a break for freedom. Then I ran down the road, past the Honey Bee, to the Hotel. Almost got run over, the pavement there seems to be rapidly disappearing. You either risk being speared in the eye from the bushes, or a head on with on coming traffic. Stopping to take a photo doesn't add to the road safety etiquette either! Idiot :-)
Eventually into the woods, it's like running inside a stroboscope. The sun is glistening through the trees, with the early morning mist making the occasional sight of sunbeams penetrating through the canopy above. Sunnies on, sunnies off, I can't quite decide. There are cows out this morning, doing what they do and essentially ignoring me as I run by. I frighten a guy at the top of the steps. Earphones wired into his brain, I cough, make noises, even repeatedly speak, but he doesn't hear me, until I run past...and then he proper jumps out of his skin, all gasping arms flailing, the works. I feel guilty, he's not pleased. What should I have done. I tried.
Back through The Carrs, but taking the high route, then out under the railway viaduct, under the bypass and up past Chris's. I stop to feed his fish, and a sneaky sit on his garden bench. That last hill, my last effort, a short but steep finale to any run I do that comes back this way. Like a sprint, but without the speed, then the short walk home. Been neglecting my stretching routine recently, so as yesterday I have a good 20 minute stretch session, timed to the clock so not to skimp. It makes such a difference to recovery. Then breakfast outside in the sun. Lovely. And so to work and London one more time this week.