Monday, 19 September 2011

Aiming High

I was looking for steps this evening...and I chose unwisely. I say that because I didn't really have  much time for a run, but wanted something other than just a run to The Mill and back. I need some 'step' practice, so wracked  my brain for the location of a lofty set of steps nearby that I could put out a decent session on. In the end, I went to The Mill because there they have a huge set of steps from the bottom by The Mill entrance all the way to the car park. At least that's how it was in  my head. On arrival, not quite. A gentle set of shallow steps half way to the car park. Oh well. I did 4 reps and added a bit on up the hill to the top for each rep and then jogged back for my Pilates class. I was rubbish tonight. No level 4 promotion for me.

So next Sunday, I'm entered for the Beetham Tower Run in Manchester...all 46 floors of it. That's why I'm looking for steps. 798 steps, to be precise. I thought it would be different. I've done no specific training for this, other than hills. I'm really not sure what kind of time to aim for, but I'm thinking sub 15 mins. Based on what, I don't know. We go off in groups of 4 every 10 mins throughout the day. All chip timed. It'll be an experience. I just need to get £100 sponsorship between now and then as it's to raise money for Cystic Fibrosis, but I have that inevitable feeling that this event is going cost me exactly £100...plus entrance fee. Oh well. I'm kind of looking forward to it, another of those short burst efforts like the Mow Cop Killer Mile. You need to spend all your energy wisely, not burn out too quick which will be so easy to do, but not cross the line with any energy to spare. What I'm really hoping for, overall, is a good view! I've always wanted to go to the top of Beetham Tower. Sunday is currently looking like sunny intervals with occasional showers. Question is, will I regret relying on my iPhone camera, or will I be temped to lug something else with me on the way up? Doubt it!

I thought I noticed it on the bottom path to The Mill, but certainly confirmed it on the top path on the way back. The paths have been widened, or at least reclaimed. Whereas I guess it allows for more sociable running, should you have company, and less attention from the nettles, I can't help but think it's a shame a once rugged path now resembles something approaching pavement in appearance and quality. But it's only a short link path, this one and nature will soon reclaim it back. The Mill is a National Trust property, and to be fair, the woods and surrounding paths are very well managed. I'd be happier if the upkeep of the roads attracted this much attention. Enough! Onwards and upwards :-)