Thursday, 8 September 2011

A Run to Market

Only 59 minutes to wait for my train. Sounds so much better than accepting I've just missed my train by a measly minute. Either way, I have time to use and a hunger to satisfy. Actually very hungry and very thirsty. I did a run this morning, then dashed for this train. Fail. So now I can eat and drink with a degree of leisure. My run, now I reflect, was the complete antithesis to the running around I enjoy so much...running around London during the early morning commute!

It's potentially like a game of skittles and I was the pin ball. Except the pins were a merciless, unyielding, self replenishing, tactical mobile ensemble of obstacles designed solely to arrest my progress and mess with my morning calm. Run, jog, walk. Eventually I wriggled my way down to the Northbank and along to St. Pauls and over the Millennium Bridge and back along the Southbank to Tower Bridge. Except I got hugely distracted when I stumbled upon Vinopolis and remembered that this led directly into the wonderful Borough Market.

I've been here before, and although it wasn't quite fully open now, the smells and the visual treats of the stalls already trading for breakfast reminded me of what a really special find this was. It's so difficult to put into words, but the place simply leaves a massive grin on your face. A smorgasbord of mighty fine culinary loveliness. I digress. As indeed I was during my run. With over a mile to go, only a vest and shorts on a pretty miserable Thursday morning, I was now full of excellent coffee and an epic breakfast bagel.

Not a great recipe to pick my way around the bottom of London Bridge Station. Back on the Southbank, I was able to get into some kind of rhythm and complete the epic 3 mile run in an outrageous hour or so. Speaking of stats, the Garmin has tricked me into thinking it still lives. Finding it winking at me the other day, I took it away and fired it up this morning. It just took forever finding satellites, so I set off anyway. It seems to have started halfway down the road. I'm still looking for a new one. Ten minutes to my train!