Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Run to the Hills

Not an Iron Maiden fan, to be honest, but I couldn't help but hum this to myself as I was looking out of my hotel room window from my tiny single bed, watching and listening to the rain come down. "Run to the hills, run for your life". You can see the Malvern Hills from the M5 and as this was a known destination, I'd been looking forward to this run for a few days. I was going to run to the top on the North Hill, then head south along the ridge before coming back down. And cor-blimey, what a climb! Up, up and up some more until you come out of the woods and above the tree line. It was a grey morning, warm but misty up on the tops. Clouds blowing over the peaks, letting a little sun light in now and then.

The running was easier from here and the plan started to come together. The cloud and the light were ever changing. The wind was blowing, one minute you could see for miles in all directions, over the Brecon Beacons and the Cotswolds, the next barely to the end of your nose. Wonderful, just me and my private thoughts. There was an unrivalled sense of isolation, yet there I was, looking down on everything...the highest point for as far you could see...just me. My GPS trace shows I spent much time up there, messing around doing nothing much but taking photos and savouring the moment. Not perfect, but almost!

Of course, the run down was brief compared to the slog up, and doesn't seem to balance effort invested in the other direction. But it was one of those descents that lasts for a period beyond the point of being fun, knees aching, back taking a thumping...enough now. Once again, an effort like that needs a proper reward, so it was with some disappointment that I was met with a killer combination of signage that could have offered so much. Cruel. But later in the morning good things came to those who wait. Remember that! Although this was a work trip, we still found time to take a mid morning break and found an outlet that made a mighty fine cup of tea.

The cake, Lemon Drizzle, was not the best I've had...and I'm a man who knows his cake, but it was welcome and a satisfactory accompaniment to the tea. Good china and service with a smile, this little cafe with it's rickety floor and low ceilings, made me wish  for better things. I enjoyed my run this morning. I was almost euphoric when I got to the top, whooping and hollering in the wind..a moment captured and shared. Followed by some quiet reflection over a fine brew. Hmmm :-)