
Last night, James asked if I might fancy a run this morning. I answered that indeed, 'I might'. And left it at that. And so after possibly the worse night sleep (loose description) I've had in a good while, the morning came and I was ready to embrace the day. Having had a breakfast hardly worthy of it's denomination, I sat at my home desk at 7.45 and contemplated the day ahead. An awkward meeting coming up, didn't really want to think about it, but not thinking about it made it worse. Then the phone goes ding ding. It's the current Mrs Eyre stating that James is about to set off for a run, did I want to join him 'right now'. Ordinarily, aside from wondering why this communication task had been subcontracted, this would have been a good time to get a little huffy about the lack of notice or how I couldn't just drop everything like that...but obviously I did. A very lovely morning in the sun and blue sky, but this did nothing for my leaden legs. Still, it was a steady pace, with conversational chatting all the way round. James, it seems, has hurt his back, so I stood a chance of keeping up and actually adding to the conversation. I did manage to remember to wear my Garmin, though was regretting it a little as James was asking for regular stat updates on pace and so on, hoping that we'd be running faster than we actually were. I had to balance a level of poetic licence to keep him happy and add a sense of reality.

Down to the Mill, up through the farm, over the road and past the Smoke House, across the back to Ned Yates and return through the other side of Wilmslow. 6 miles of morning sunshine and even managed to remember to set my buttons...not that I'm obsessive! Although it didn't come up in conversation as we ran past, but I've not been to the Smoke House for an age. Too long. In fact just thinking about it is making my mouth water. The smell and sense of occasion, the tasty warm fresh bread, the cheese, the dips, olives.... arrrgh. Where are my car keys! I have been there for lunch, reminded of this as James said his Mum and Dad went there recently and were queuing at the bottom of the stairs for an age so sacked it off. But it's great to go and get a DIY lunch and take it back to somewhere fitting for a picnic. On the subject of lunch, today I was back in RISE and a very tasty Red Pepper Chowder washed down with a smoothie was my choice. Doesn't sound like a great combination now I read this back, but at the time it was just fine. Yum, with lots of texture and a nice tingle on the lips, this was a good choice. The soup, that is. I was tempted by a cake, but frankly my standards are very high at the moment, and nothing there really grabbed my eye or imagination. I like a cake to look good, sure, but it has to deliver on content also.
The sun is still shinning :-)