Thursday, 30 October 2014

Den

As a kid, there was an inherent knack of having something that was completely serviceable, taking it apart and making it less useful than it originally was. A prime case would be our bunk beds that my brother and I shared. Two perfectly comfortable beds. But on occasion, we'd tip it on it's side, throw a blanket over the top and hey presto...a den. And we'd sleep on the floor, uncomfortable and cold and in proximity far too close for rivalling siblings until we'd give in and convert our vision of adventure back to its normal state.

 

And if it wasn't the bed, it was upturned chairs, under the desk or on occasion cushions stolen from the sofa downstairs. I'm reminded of this tonight, as I lie in my hotel room, along a narrow corridor between the floor on one side and all my wordly goods I have with me on the other. Overnight bag, work satchel, a variety of electronic equipment and associated cables and my room service tray (super (hero) food salad). A local map, my clothes, shoes, TV remote, phone and the many pillows, all stacked around me.

 

I could put them on the floor, or away, but i have a habit of shedding my possessions around the many hotels I visit here and there. So I have made myself a den. Everything is close. Almost! It feels right, comfortable and cocooned. I've not run since last weekend. That doesn't feel right. There's a suggestion I've lost my mojo. Yes. But there's something about the running, isn't there? The reason I see all this laid out before me, is because I'm hooked on the best reality TV programme there is.

 

24hrs in A&E on C4. It's captivating. Real life, not wannabe TV stars. Tonight a girl in a motorbike accident who lost her leg at the scene. A story close to me. An hour of wondering how she is or whether she survived, has us learning she intends to run a 10k race next year in the closing credits. Running. Tomorrow, I'll get out of my bed, deconstruct my den and get out there! It's that sense of achievement from having done something a little uncomfortable. Proving something to yourself and stepping out of your comfort zone.