Saturday, 1 November 2014

Keep off the Grass

And I did run, up that windy footpath that takes you from the A4 up to the Clifton Suspension Bridge. A bit of a stinger, that! I tried to get here last time I came to Bristol, but the path was closed with signs that threatened 'Danger of Death' and the like. The view from the bridge was worth the effort and there was a little bit of me that was self satisfied. Smug. But my own efforts were dwarfed by those whom I'd come to see. A meeting for meningitis survivors, albeit with significant limb loss and their stories of triumph over adversity.

It was curious to listen to these rule breakers, people, children mainly who've defied the odds of survival and being able to live an active and healthy life....all set in a backdrop of the Gloucester County Cricket Ground, another elitist sport where pomp and ceremony rule. "Keep off the grass", the children were reminded by the jobsworths! I watched a group of 4 kids playing outside while we were listening to lectures. 1 leg and 3 arms between them, laughing and running around without a care in the world. The M6 was not my friend on the journey home tonight.