Thursday, 10 July 2014

Flies, Forever and Flowers

Got bitten by a bastard fly tonight. There was bleeding and everything. It's not the pain or inconvenience of it that troubles me, it's just plain rude. Sat now, I can already see swellings where there shouldn't be any. I thought it was dirt when it caught my. But then the blood made me stop and investigate. Expecting to see a gaping wound, there was nothing, not a mark. I thought it was just Pete who is attractive to vermin, seemingly not. I never thought I had enough meat on my legs to attract anything.

 

A long run up the bypass last night. I say long, it is what it is, no longer or shorter, but it's been a while. A look forwards brings only the horizon for a view, compared to the woodlands I've been choosing to run lately. I need some miles in my legs and not to be distracted by races. Each time I run this road now, I remember that night with Pete in the pitch dark, howling wind and penetrating rain. It would have been so easy to stay in that night, but we didn't. Even in the early evening sunshine the road still seems to go on forever.

 

It's a great night to be out. It may be 'only' 20 C, but it's not long before the first drip of sweat pours down across my sunnies, first sign that the seal is broken and soon I can't see. The heat on my face from the low sun literally brings a smile to my face. Up to the roundabout and a left turn back towards Alderey. But it's all happening up here. The roadies are out. Time trials. I stop and watch a few negotiate their turnaround point, then I head for home. I'm welcomed with flowers. Must have driven past these a hundred times. First time I see them today.