Sunday, 27 July 2014

Disguise

The subject of sporting apparel has been raised again. By me! I realise this sounds hugely opinionated, and it is. But what I don't get, or to be more accurate what I like to explore as a concept, is why running is different. I get regular requests to join a small group for a Sunday mornning long run out, but never have I been asked to wear my lilac top. I rather suspect that is a conversation these two cyclists had who passed me the other Sunday. And fair play. They looked...well, I'm not sure, but it was a look!

And the other weekend at Silverstone, there was more discussion about replica clothing. It's harmless discussion, but the issue here was that in football, as a baseline, replica clothing is clothing that sportspeople wear when doing their sport, not what they wear at weekends or evenings out! And what on earth is a Petronas anyway? I guess it boils down to the fact that I'm not keen on branded clothing. But I do like the notion of 'team' and a sense of belonging. And it's the cyclists who do this best I think.

For the running then, yes, we wear our kit for racing. It's actually in the rules. No club vest, no points. But at training or on social runs, we are a disparate band of brothers and sisters wearing whatever comes out of the draw first. Yet here I am today, 338, Great Warford 10, running incognito. No club vest, sunnies and a grumpy face. Wasn't really in the mood today, and feared a result to match. So kept a low profile and my head down. It was hot. A few seconds slower than last year, but a good 1.06. Happy with that...sort of!